FareHarbor is looking for a Legal Counsel - Privacy to work in a lean team with the Head of Legal and closely connected with a group of dedicated privacy lawyers at Booking.com. The successful candidate will work to improve the FareHarbor privacy program and advise the business on a range of legal questions related to data protection and privacy to help make the right decisions to comply with all relevant data protection and privacy laws.
This individual will interact directly with FareHarbor business stakeholders (e.g. commercial, product, business operations) and the Booking.com privacy team, and will report into FareHarbor’s Head of Legal and Booking.com’s Chief Privacy Officer.
What you’ll do here:
- Acting as a privacy legal point of contact for internal stakeholders and advising them on privacy requirements and best practices.
- Work with FareHarbor’s Head of Legal in evaluating impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions, and other related guidelines on business initiatives, including in areas related to data use and sharing, product development, partnerships, integrations, and other business development opportunities.
- Translating legal requirements into practical, workable solutions and working together with various business functions to implement them.
- Ensuring that privacy issues are considered at the outset of new projects, products, processes and initiatives, ensuring privacy by design and default.
- Conducting Data Protection Risk Assessments, Legitimate Interest Assessments and Data Protection Impact Assessments;
- Providing (ad-hoc) legal and strategic business advice for privacy related matters globally, including data use, disclosure requirements, data transfer mechanisms and the impact of cookie, marketing and consumer laws;
- Implementing, overseeing and monitoring FareHarbor’sprivacy compliance framework, including privacy operations and documentation, drafting external privacy/cookie statements and disclosures, and managing/updating internal privacy policies and processes to ensure we meet our obligations under the framework;
- Crafting and delivering privacy communications;
- Supporting the creation and update of the Register of Processing Activities for FareHarbor.
- Responding to privacy and security-related customer and regulatory inquiries and investigations as well as supporting our Data Protection Control Center on responding to data subject requests.
- Work on data sharing initiatives, new regulation impact review and implementation, incident management, data privacy impact assessments for new processing activities, and others.
- Negotiating and drafting data processing agreements, intra-group agreements and privacy and security terms in commercial agreements, including (API) licensing agreements, Affiliate agreements, sourcing and procurement agreements, as well as term of service;
- Working closely with the Global Data Protection Officer, other Legal Counsels, Risk & Compliance, Procurement, Security and other colleagues as well as outside counsels worldwide.
- 4+ years' relevant working experience, ideally in a (tech) company in a role involving data protection and consumer laws, privacy compliance and data security
- A LLM (or other legal graduate degree) alongside a CIPP/E / CIPT (or other similar) certification is a plus
- A deep understanding of EU data protection regulatory requirements; understanding of US data protection regulatory requirements would be helpful
- Knowledge and experience in applying risk based decision making
- The skill to communicate complex legal concepts to (senior) business stakeholders
- High adaptability with an openness to new ideas, able to think creatively about solutions, a “quick-read” for changing situations and balances long-term view with short-term actions
- A self-starter mindset with high energy and drive; fast-paced and results driven
- A high level of project management skills and at the same time, able to “roll up sleeves” to get the job done
- The ability to quickly respond to issues at hand and able to prioritize effectively, with an entrepreneurial mindset
- A team-player mentality with a great sense of humor
- Fluency in English with excellent communication skills; verbally, in writing and listening (other language skills are a plus)
Further skills we are looking for:
- Aligning with FareHarbor Values (Be Curious and learn, Own it, Act with Integrity and Embrace the Challenge)
- Being flexible, and a creative and pragmatic problem solver
- Confident yet collaborative
- Ability to influence stakeholders across all levels within the organization
- Being proactive, resilient and having the drive to get things done
- Having sound judgment and the ability to see the big picture and simultaneously appreciate the details necessary to operationalise the strategy
- Having the courage to take positions and make tough judgment calls
- Being a team player, self aware and a good listener - a diverse group will always find the best solution!
- Forward thinking with an interest in emerging issues in legal and policy
As a team, we believe in:
- Integrating with the Business and Legal having a “seat at the table”: we are decision makers who can have a real impact on FareHarbor’s future
- Our legal team’s mission is to be a high-energy, collaborative team that partners with the business and employs responsible risk management to achieve the right results in the right way.
- Providing holistic legal advice, taking into account the business reality
- Always looking for better ways of doing things, innovating and exchanging best practices
- Accepting that it's OK to make mistakes provided we learn from them
- Having a sense of humor and having fun working together; we are a team that likes to collaborate and share in joys and challenges together!
- Global leave benefit
- 22 weeks paid parental leave
- 2 weeks paid grandparent leave
- Extended care and bereavement leave
- Life insurance policy
- Pension Plan
- Central Amsterdam Location
- Discount CZ insurance
- Working in a multicultural environment - 45 different nationalities
- Commuting allowance for public transport & subsidized lunch
- Wellness benefits (Headspace subscription & wellness webinars)
- Hybrid friendly
- Work-from-home assistance
- Educational Opportunities
- Social hours & events and team-building
- 26 vacation days per year