We are looking for a Senior External Communications Manager to join Airbus Defence & Space in Stevenage.
The external communications department is a diverse team consisting of spokespeople and communication and social media experts based across the UK and Europe and is responsible for ensuring the reputation of the division.
Within the team of GXT, you will be responsible for dealing with External Communications matters mainly related to Military Air Systems and Connected Intelligence (Security, Cyber etc.) in the UK, building up and maintaining relationships with key media - trade as well as dailies. In that function, you will be reporting to the Head of Defence External Communications within GXT.
You will also drive Employee Communications on national and site level in the UK and act as Comms point of contact (POC) for the UK sites; handle issues such as management and crisis communication for Employee Communications in the UK; advise senior management team on engaging employee communications and support strategic employee communications projects and as part of wider employee communications team beyond the UK.
Please note: This role will involve frequent travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly. You will also be subject to a BPSS check (including a criminal record check).
Tasks & Accountabilities:
- Engaging with external audiences by animating Airbus' external channels (media relations, Airbus.com, Airbus corporate social media accounts) in support of the Communications strategy.
- Contributing to the promotion and protection of the Airbus brand and to the external positioning of its products, services, people and top management with a special emphasis on the UK (primarily Defence and Connected Intelligence).
- Providing audience and business related performance indicators to support decision-making, channel animation, planning and continuous improvement.
- Acting as company spokesperson and ambassador via all relevant media and social media channels - primarily on defence and security topics- for Airbus DS CEO, senior UK leadership and others.
- 30% of time shall be devoted to supporting Internal Communications activities of Airbus DS in the UK.
Skills & Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Working knowledge of Communications (ideally internal and external)
- Excellent networking and stakeholder management skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to act as a spokesperson for the department
- Social media skills
- Good research and writing skills
What Airbus Can Offer You:
- A competitive salary with annual profit share
- an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave
- Very strong, very real career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
- A hybrid working pattern of 2 to 3 days per week in the office and 2 to 3 days remotely, however you will be required to spend more time in the office during the initial training period
- Flexible hours - 37 per week with no core hours on Friday afternoons!