We are looking for a Structures Test Advanced Measurement Specialist to join Airbus in Filton, Bristol. You will join the Wing Test Center department and report to the Head of the team.
In this unique and exciting opportunity you will work transnationally across Airbus' structures test organisation and will work from the Aerospace Integrated Research and Test Centre (AIRTeC) based in Filton. The highly important Structures Test organisation manages all testing from material level to aircraft level testing which provides evidence required to permit flight, certification and continued airworthiness. The research and testing facility is designed to test aircraft parts from wings to individual components along with providing advanced research laboratories.
The AIRTeC facility will contribute to Airbus’ strategic plan within the UK to accelerate the design, manufacture, testing, certification and commercial operation of future zero-emission aircraft.
In this advanced measurement specialist role, you will develop a variety of niche technical skills, interact with scientific communities, external organisations, suppliers and will have the opportunity to implement the theoretical knowledge into practice.
You will be subject to a BPSS check including a criminal record check.
Tasks & Accountabilities:
- Contribution to the Advanced Measurement Technologies work package within the Smarter Testing project. Smarter Testing is an £11M R&T project led by Airbus in collaboration with industrial partners and academic/research organisations. It aims to develop a novel testing and certification process for aeronautical structures through the use of an optimised hybrid test campaign that will combine virtual and physical tests, addressing the end-to-end test lifecycle to reduce cost and product development times
- Provide end to end experimental mechanics and metrology solutions to support various structural tests
- Create detailed performance plans, arrange test logistics, performance measurements, analyse results and report the data
- Actively participate in the improvement of innovative measurement technologies based on visual, high-speed, thermal or sonic imaging technology
- Maintenance of measurement equipment and writing business cases for capital investment expenditure
This role will involve some international travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
Skills & Experience:
- Proven experience with Digital Image Correlation
- Ideally knowledge or experience with experimental mechanics including Strain Gauging, Photogrammetry, Photoelasticity, Thermoelastic Stress Analysis etc
- Metrology (Laser tracking etc)
- Structural Health Monitoring
- BEng / MEng e.g. Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science any other applicable degrees
- Proven experience in the field of measurement technologies
- Good experimental, data analysis, problem solving and mathematical skills
What Airbus Can Offer You:
- A competitive salary with annual profit share
- an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave
- Very strong, very real career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
- A working pattern of 2 to 3 days per week in the office and 2 to 3 days remotely
- Flexible hours - 35 per week with no core hours on Friday afternoons!