This role is responsible for managing the EMEA statutory accounting function and delivering consolidated and entity accounts for the group across 22 EMEA countries. The Senior Corporate Accounting Manager EMEA is a senior role in the EMEA Finance function reporting directly to the EMEA Finance Director and working very closely with the EMEA Financial Controller & EMEA CFO.
You will be leading a team of 8 people (plus an external consultant) that take responsibility for all aspects of financial reporting in accordance with local legislation and statutory requirements across EMEA. This includes VAT submissions, statutory reporting including group consolidation, group audit management, local external accountant co-ordination and support to our Tax Director for local tax submissions including the UK PSA.
You will be joining an established finance team of 40 based in the EMEA Head Office based in Moorgate, London and gain insights into the Business Consulting sector in a fast growing and successful business. The successful candidate will be required to have strong technical accounting and preferably tax knowledge as well as financial analysis, reconciliation and accounting skills coupled with strong leadership to deliver meaningful change and improvement in the function.
UK & Overseas Statutory accounts
- Responsible for preparing UK Group consolidated and subsidiary financial statements in accordance with FRS102 / LLP SORP including drafting the Strategic and Directors/Members report
- Lead on any updates to accounting standards, ensuring any policies are fully understood and their impact assessed
- Provide technical advice on complex accounting issues
- Reviewing foreign financial statements prepared in accordance with local GAAP / IFRS by external accountants
- Reconciliation of Agresso cash-based accounts with local accounts in relevant countries
- Ensure intercompany invoicing / reconciliations are carried out in accordance with agreed timescales
- Main point of contact for the auditors, managing the relationship alongside the EMEA Finance Director, managing and coordinating audit deliverables and fielding audit queries from the auditors for the Groups. There is also a high level of relationship and deliverables management with foreign accountants and for the foreign statutory audits.
- Dealing with queries/requests for information from external accountants and employees throughout the UK and Europe to support the statutory reporting function.
Monthly Reporting and Controls
- Ensure month-end tasks are managed to the monthly EMEA Corporate timetable
- Regular review of balance sheet reconciliations and support ongoing enhancement of balance sheet control processes
- Ensure a robust intercompany reconciliation and intercompany invoicing process is place across the group.
- Ensure the team raise and settle intercompany invoices with agreed frequency whilst looking for ways to streamline process and improve controls
- Develop and implement improvements to the financial controls and procedures
- Work with internal audit team to ensure adequate financial controls and systems are in place
- Providing guidance to Accounts Payable to ensure that costs are correctly allocated to each business unit within and between regions
- Responsible for VAT compliance for all legal entities in EMEA
- Preparing/approving the quarterly UK group VAT workings and ensuring the foreign VAT returns across multiple jurisdictions are filed on time
- Advise on VAT compliance issues and VAT queries from the Project Teams, Accounts Payable and Billing team
- Monitoring changes in global VAT legislation including digital reporting and interpretation to identify potential impact on the business and take appropriate action including leading implementation of VAT e-invoicing and e-reporting requirements
- Responsible for regulatory financial reporting of statistical information
- Work with the Tax team to ensure CIT returns, withholding tax and transfer pricing obligations are met and tax implications are considered on commercial and accounting decisions
- Review and approval of AP invoices/expenses payments from bank accounts
- Support the Tax Director on tax audits and other tax authority responses
- Assistance with ad-hoc projects as and when required
Leadership and Management
- Manage, develop and motivate a team of eight, four Financial Accountants and four Assistant Accountants
- Support a culture of team engagement
- Provide assistance in identifying career development opportunities for direct reports
Skills and qualifications
You will most likely be currently working in a Group role with staff management experience in a large organisation. You will have Statutory reporting experience and be used to working in a rapidly evolving and challenging environment. You will understand and have experience of motivating, training and organising a team to meet its goals.
- A qualified accountant with ACA, CIMA or ACCA qualification
- A number of years post qualification hands-on accounting experience in industry
- Professional services experience would be desirable
- Previous experience of an international multi-site business with exposure to FX transactions is required
- Experience of continental GAAP would be desirable
- The candidate should be able to meet deadlines, be results orientated and have a “can do” attitude
- You will be a natural team player who can interact easily with your colleagues and have strong communication skills
- You will be driven and ambitious, keen to get involved in broader finance projects and be looking for an opportunity to develop your finance career and, in so doing, make a real contribution to the team and the firm
- A&M is an organization where a hands-on approach is adopted by all - candidates should understand that this is a hands-on role and should be prepared to get involved in the transactional side of accountancy to resolve issues and assist in the development of staff
Diversity & Inclusion
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity and we foster inclusiveness. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s policy to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.