We are looking for an experienced Engineering leader who can take ownership of our data platform at The Cirqle. This person will lead our newly created Platform Engineering team -- which has been tasked with designing, building, and maintaining all of our APIs, data storage and processing systems, and the related infrastructure that powers The Cirqle.
In this role, you will do hands-on work to develop and enhance The Cirqle’s architecture and technical direction, while also defining processes and procedures to ensure team output is of high-quality and is consistent with our technical strategy.
Our ideal candidate has led technical teams building and maintaining large-scale data platforms, has extreme attention to detail, clearly communicates complex concepts, and is equally excited about 99.9999% reliability and data quality, as they are about API design and documentation.
This position requires excellent technical, analytical, and influencing skills paired with phenomenal business insight -- as you will be working with The Cirqle’s Executive team to establish the platform roadmap, provide leadership and mentoring to the Platform Engineering team, as well as defining your team's objectives and seeing them through to completion.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Wants to take ownership over the end-to-end architecture of The Cirqle Data Platform
- Uses data-driven decision making to identify and prioritize high-impact initiatives
- Thinks in systems: their edge cases, failure modes, and life cycles
- Evangelizes high quality software engineering practices
- Enjoys being hands-on, both in writing code and debugging complex problems
- Loves collaborating via product reviews, code reviews and architecture discussions
- Cares deeply about mentorship and helping other engineers grow in their careers
As the Technical Lead, you will:
- Lead a Platform Engineering team that is tasked with building a large scale, high-performance data processing system to enable The Cirqle’s business growth and improve the product experience
- Own the technical roadmap and architecture choices we make in building The Cirqle Data Platform
- Enable The Cirqle’s systems to scale effectively by making informed trade-offs around security, reliability, latency, cost, and other constraints
- Conduct deep-dives on platform design and architecture, in collaboration with other engineers and Executive leaders
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Ensure the reliability and uptime of the services you're responsible for
- Keep an eye on how much your service costs every month and remove inefficiencies
- Teach and mentor engineers on your team to become the next generation of leaders at The Cirqle. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have 6+ years of engineering experience in high availability platforms and systems
- Have 2+ years of hands-on technical leadership experience (This is highly preferred, but not required)
- Have familiarity with our existing technology stack (Node.js, PostgreSQL, Heroku, AWS S3, Cloudfront, EC2, and RDS)
- Are pragmatic and prefer simple solutions over complex ones, and you have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- Are comfortable working on a new product under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations
- Measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- Have experience with Agile (Scrum) development methodology