The position will encompass both Project Management of a range of project types and funding structures including Hilton funded and owner funded projects. It will also require generation and implementation of Property Improvement Plans (PIPs) as well as support in analytical reporting and systems management for the EMEA Capex & Retentions & Renewals team within the Architecture, Design and Construction department. The position will report to the AD&C Vice President for Capex, Retention & Renewals, EMEA.
Under direction of the Vice President, the project management role will focus on ensuring a smooth delivery of the highest quality refurbishment and extension projects in existing Hilton operating hotels. The project manager will be committed to increasing efficiencies, improving communications, and assembling reliable information for our owners, industry partners and Hilton stakeholders. The position will also support the Vice President in the developing of PIPs throughout the region and will be responsible to negotiate these with owners and deliver the project in conjunction with the AD&C project journey.
The project management element of the position will entail being the principal point of support and contact for all project stakeholders, both within Hilton as well as for the owner / franchise partner teams, during the design, construction, pre- and post-completion stages of the Capex & Retentions & Renewals pipeline, whilst dealing simultaneously the coordination of running operational requirements.
- Management of design and construction process on Retention & Renewals developments within EMEA, including contract renewals on the leased, managed, and franchised estate plus brand changes, changes of Ownership, room additions and any contract changes which result in significant renovations of existing hotels.
- Management of design and construction process on Capex development within EMEA (projects which are funded directly by Hilton).
- Manage and comply with the project management process as detailed in the AD&C journey for all project types from pre-signature phase through to the completion of the project.
- Preparing internal Hilton reports on a monthly basis.
- Undertake full and comprehensive review of architectural, engineering, and fit-out documents and proposals at all stages of the design and construction process: preparing associated reports and correspondence.
- Work effectively and commercially with developers, owners, and project design consultants to optimize design, construction, and handover of projects.
- Liaise and assist the in-house Development, Real Estate and Brand teams in developing new projects, throughout the region, by the reviewing of plans, specifications and scheme proposals for technical compliance with Hilton design and construction standards, brand standards and all relevant national and international codes, prior to contract.
- Make technical design and construction recommendations to the Development and Real Estate teams in order to ensure that potential projects are in accordance with both technical and brand standards.
- Provide project leadership on behalf of Hilton and act as main liaison and focus point between the in-house specialists, the owner and their design teams, to ensure the free flow of information and design input from Hilton throughout the design development and construction periods. Where Hilton are investing, then substantial oversight of the project budget and cashflow is required.
- Raising any areas of non-compliance with owners or internal Real Estate teams and ensuring that appropriate measures are taken to rectify any such non-compliance.
- Carry out regular site inspections of the project works in progress, to ensure full compliance with Hilton design and construction and operational standards, as well as ensuring compliance with acceptable standards of finishes and quality of workmanship throughout the duration of the works.
- Supervise external consultants as required during the course of any project works.
- For Hilton funded projects, draft consultant and main contractor appointments in conjunction with in-house legal teams.
- Provide regular reports on the development’s progress, in respect of contractual and physical progress, as required in oral, written, or digital presentational formats.
- Oversee and assist in the snagging inspections and production of snagging lists and the post-handover defects correction period inspections, to ensure the owner team’s full compliance with their contractual obligations through to the final completion of the project.
- Inspect the works, collate, and prepare all necessary project handover information and certification required by the Hilton project management procedures.
- Participate in the decision-making process regarding the handover of the hotel by advising whether or not all physical related activities are complete and owner obligations discharged. For Hilton funded projects, the responsibility for the handover sits with Hilton and therefore the handover needs to be driven by the Senior Manager ensuring completion of the project is delivered to the highest standard.
- Provide technical advice to the brand leaders on the agreement of the scope of the PIP works.
- Provide technical support to the brand and development teams in the explanation of the PIP to the owner team.
Direct Reports: Not applicable
What are we looking for?
The success in this role will demonstrate itself through the following attributes and skills:
- Must be able to read and understand drawings, design and construction standards and all other criteria established by Hilton to determine the physical requirements of all Brands.
- Must be able to read, understand and report on architectural and engineering construction documents, specifications, construction submittals, bulletins, change orders, etc to ensure that the design and construction of projects are in compliance with established standards.
- Excellent general knowledge of design and construction materials and methods and specific knowledge pertaining to the design and construction of full service and focused service hotels.
- Knowledge of the hotel operating contracts and models is desirable. One of the challenging aspects of this position is the need to communicate openly and honestly with Hilton’s partners, maintain a good working relationship with them and be able to deal with problems when confronted with a design and construction issue which does not meet Hilton requirements.
- Excellent communication skills: presentations, written and public speaking.
- Ability to work independently and lead a project team and make effective and timely decisions on behalf of Hilton project stakeholders.
- Ability to direct collaboration among cross-functional teams including external resources.
- Ability to analyse departmental financial data in order to make strategic and tactical decisions.
- Lead by example to resolve conflicts, introduce change and ensure collaboration among others.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of ethical behaviour and absolute discretion with sensitive information.
- Ability to take initiative to identify, prioritise and implement actions required to achieve functional goals.
- Strong problem-solving skills including ability to address any issue in collaboration with others, identify and prevent potential problems and develop problem solving skills in others.
- Ability to provide development and mentoring to others.
- Budget development and management skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage the work of others.
- Capable of conversing with both technical and non-technical parties.
- Experience in dealing with developers, owners, and other corporate clients.
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- University degree in engineering, architecture, building or quantity surveying or construction-related discipline.
- Substantial work experience in property, engineering design and/or construction related roles including management experience and/or experience working within a Client organisation.
- Substantial experience working in hotel development and construction related experience ideally within an international hotel group.
- Experience working in multi-cultural or international settings.
- An understanding of local building codes, European and International (NFPA) Fire Life Safety codes.
- Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, construction project programming software
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
It would be advantageous in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- In-depth knowledge of construction projects and track record of successful project delivery.
- Supervisory experience would be advantageous.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD software.
- Be able to show previous project management experience and be capable of both the leading and monitoring of outside consultants.
- Other European languages would also beneficial but not essential.
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision “to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality” unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!