Start asap or latest in September 2019 (32 hrs) for 4-6 months
Are you an experienced and creative designer who gets enthusiastic about social design and has an interest in international development? Are you excited to use your skills, experience and energy to contribute to our positive chain of events? Then this is the opportunity for you!
We are looking for a design intern, who is an all-round designer and who in addition to service design, has graphic design skills. You love to work in a dynamic, project-oriented work environment. You are able to join in a creative process and you're willing to perform preparatory work. You are willing to take all facets of the design work on your shelf and feel it is important that concepts are graphically strong. You know how to DTP and have an interested in working within an international environment. You are familiar with design programs, keen on working agile and eager to take on any challenge!
All of our programs are co-created with our local partners using a Design Thinking approach and based on a number of learning theories which increase effectiveness and impact. You will be part of our team and will work closely together with all team members. These tasks will be part of your main activities:
• Execute (graphic/visual) design work for reports, mock-ups and prototypes for different projects.
• Establish the visualisation of external communication materials focusing on our website, newsletter and social media channels together with our branding team.
• Support our current concept creators and visual designers in creating, identifying and designing new concepts.
• Co-organise our inspiration events on its preparations and executing.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague who is used to working independently and taking responsibility for his/her/their work. You feel at home in a dynamic international working environment. You are thorough and accurate, with a good sense of priorities. You have a hands-on work style; you are able to apply theory to practice easily.
Qualifications and knowledge:
• you are studying (last year) or have studied at a bachelor’s level in a design related study;
• you are familiar with the different stages of the design process;
• you have experience working with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign;
• experience in web design is a big advantage;
• you are a good (intercultural) communicator and efficient at planning your work;
• you are a practical, hands-on person and like to be organised and get things done;
• you are independent and a creative thinker and
• you have professional proficiency of English, both spoken and written (Dutch and/or French is a plus).
Who are we?
Butterfly Works is a social design studio working in international development. We're here to create a world in which people have a say in the future they want. With a co-creation and design thinking approach, and building on almost 20 years of experience, we create education and communication solutions with social impact. We act as an innovation, research, technical and scale-up partner. By co- 2 creating with stakeholders, every solution is based on shared values and people's needs. This means that all of our work is tailor-made; never copy-pasted, always human-centred.
Have a look at the services we offer, example projects and meet our committed team.
What do we offer?
We offer an interesting and challenging 4-6 months internship position in an international work field. An intern fee of € 255 per month is available. The work hours amount to 32 hours a week.
And, we offer:
• An inspiring work space at the vibrant NDSM wharf in Amsterdam.
• An opportunity to be part of a diverse and experienced team consisting of 10 people.
• Great coffee and a daily fresh lunch.
How do we work?
We strongly believe in the talents of an individual and in the strengths of an effective team. We have no bosses or managers; everyone is responsible and accountable for their roles. This will give you the freedom to do what you are best at and to make your own choices in line with the purpose of the organisation. We stand for openness and transparency, and adopted Holacracy in 2016 to support our teamwork.