The Group Lead needs to achieve his/her objectives in a multi-business work field while collaborating seamlessly in the triangle of program management, science management and resource management. On the one hand the Group Lead is a critical contributor to the organizational development on the other hand he/she contributes to research and development for a broad portfolio of DSM’s product applications.
The Group Lead position consists of 50% resource management and 50% science/project activities.
The resource management activities focus on:
- Co-Development of a DMSC identity, mindset and aligned behaviors to create the optimal match between organization culture with the DSM’s business objectives
- (Contributing to) the overall development of the Group/Department by means of input for and implementation of organization development plans
- Allocation of R&D project team resources to the projects/activities in projects and programs
- Operational management of the planning and output of the group
- People management of the group including personal development and implementation of expertise development plans in line with overall competence development plans (science axis)
- QESSH performance of his/her team; this includes steering behavior and actively making proposals for improvement.
The science/project activities are deployed in the frame work of DMSC R&D programs that are defined in close alignment with DSM business owners and consist of:
- Contribution to/lead projects by composing the integrated scientific work/project plan, by searching the right scientific input, by supervising and monitoring the experimental work, by executing R&D activities and by identifying (potential)/solving bottlenecks.
- Playing a leading and prominent scientific role in the competence development projects (e.g. as Project Manager) and generate new expertise, new concepts and scientific innovations in a defined area of expertise and make it available within DSM.
- Ensuring the effective and efficient execution of assigned (R&D) activities, the engagement of the assigned project members, report the execution of the assigned R&D activities and let results be registered and/or implemented.
- Shaping and executing external collaborations (e.g. with external research and academic institutes)
- Staying abreast of relevant scientific developments in the competence in order to develop knowledge for the R&D area (e.g. by maintaining a network with peers) and ensure access to relevant scientific sources and stay abreast of the development in the industrial and business context and its consequences.
Given the challenge ahead, we look for a seasoned colleague that brings the following expertise/experience:
- Scientific background with an academic degree in an engineering discipline, preferably chemical engineering with experience in the field of polymer process development. Experience in a manufacturing role is an advantage.
- Knowledge base that encompasses multiple areas of expertise or disciplines.
- Track record of contributions to processes, products & applications, to an area of research. Applies and/or develops highly advanced technologies and concepts, also by making use of external collaborations.
- People management experience
- Business acumen and experience to be able to understand what drives/contribute to business growth
- Development mindset: strong assessor of individual and team development needs, authentic coach and mentor engaging towards the needed strategic direction
- Able to use the own demonstrated capability to align business with science objectives, for excelling competence and capability use/development of the group, delivering differentiation through technology and science
- Role model in teaming and collaboration: creating well-functioning partnerships in collaborations (both internal and external)
- Demonstrated constructive contribution to/outlook on change management.
Working for DSM means the opportunity to really contribute to improve people’s lives and solving the challenges of today’s world. Challenging jobs, career opportunities and an inspiring environment allow you to enhance your personal development. DSM recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team competencies and performance.