As a Graduate Intern at ORTEC you will be part of a unique organization and team!
With this graduate project, you will be part of ORTEC’s student team in the Energy LAB. Together with other graduate students, you will work within the same strategic topic, but you will have your own research question and thesis subject. Within this LAB you will have the possibility to brainstorm and discuss with colleagues about the topic and everything that is encompassed in writing a thesis, leading to a thesis with more impact. The subject of your thesis project is linked to the energy industry in general, and often to the energy transition specifically. In this case you will be part of the Energy team, a young and enthusiastic team of professionals located in Zoetermeer and Groningen. The Energy team supports the entire energy industry in data-driven decision making, and uses innovative mathematics to help them generate sustainable growth.
Current thesis subjects are:
- How to design a sustainable energy infrastructure for future cities?
- Help upgrade our optimization model for integrated energy systems to the next level:
- From small- to large scale cases
- Using existing asset data
Integrating operational constraints
How to estimate the techno-economic development of new energy technologies?
- Help forecast the development and determine how to integrate into our models:
- Power-to-X (X = methane, hydrogen, biofuels, etc.)
- Batteries & electric vehicles
Photovoltaics & other RES
How to optimize a supply chain under heavy uncertainty in the energy industry?
- Help improve our optimization models using robust optimization, simulation, or a combination of these – modeling, OR, programming
Who you are
- A master student in a relevant engineering, mathematical or computer science field,
- Passionate about (future) energy technologies and energy transition developments,
- A team player with great work ethic,
- A puzzle solver with excellent analytical skills, modeling and programming experience,
- Depending on the thesis subject – experience with decomposition methods, data science, or (chemical/electrical/materials) engineering can be an advantage
- Able to fluently communicate in English (verbally and in writing).
What we offer:
- Entrance to the most passionate powerhouse in applied mathematics, with a drive to use our skills to improve the world, from the world at large to our own backyard;
- Being part of a company founded by graduate students back in 1981, which today still fosters its students by:
- Excellent supervision during your graduation project
- Possibility to work as a Student Assistant next to your graduation project
- Good internship allowance and a laptop
- An open, kind and fun culture, with both an active employee association for fun activities with colleagues and content driven Young ORTEC organization for you to join
- Being a member of the Student Pool, which organizes all kinds of activities for graduate students at ORTEC, like Friday afternoon drinks at our own “ORTap”
- Being part of the Energy team, where we often organize both fun and educational activities. Think of cake at our team meetings, pizza sessions with a deep dive into a part of our industry, coffee meetings where we discuss latest developments in the industry, and a yearly team weekend
What to expect
We help you to thrive in your field of expertise. We operate a flat organizational structure that keeps communication lines short. The atmosphere is open, informal, cooperative and positive. We employ over 900 people in the Netherlands (HQ), Belgium, Germany, France, the U.K., Romania, Italy, the U.S., Australia, Brazil, Poland and Denmark.