We are the leaders in social research bridging the gap between government and the public, through the provision of robust research and analysis. We are also a major provider of evaluation and advisory services to the UK government and NHS. We work with public institutions to provide robust evidence on the effectiveness of public policies and programmes supporting our clients to help set policy priorities and improve delivery.
Our work has a direct bearing on the decisions made by government, organisations and citizens. We take that responsibility seriously and, because of this, do work of the highest quality that stands up to close scrutiny.
You will be based in the qualitative team, working on qualitative projects ranging from fast-turnaround small studies through to large scale longitudinal studies. You will gain exposure to, and experience in, social research qualitative skills as well as other key skills such as evaluation, project management, IT, and quantitative research techniques. You'll also develop some awareness of an understanding of the different data analysis approaches used in research and evaluation. In addition, you will gain a good understanding of what a career in social research might entail, what is needed to progress, as well as exposure to a range of different policy areas.
Please find below a role profile which outlines what the Internship would cover, and the required skills and behaviours.
- Help with the data management and coding of some large scale qualitative projects
- Support with qualitative fieldwork co-ordination and recruitment
- Help co-ordinate the qual training programme (and attend sessions)
- Reviewing literature on relevant policy areas
- Involvement in development and checking of client presentations/ report structures
- Working effectively with team members and suppliers
- Company operating practices and quality processes
- Qualitative research skills including note taking at depth interviews and discussion groups
- We have a flexible working culture where we support our colleagues and celebrate our successes is important to us.
- You’ll have access to our Learning Academy and online training modules which will support your on-the-job learning and wider development.
- Networking is a key skill so we have Early Careers social events with other Interns, Placement Students and Graduates from across the company.
- You will be assigned a line manager and buddy to guide you through the internship
- You’ll see a variety of interesting work where you’ll make a notable difference- our current interns are proud to see the clients using their work!
- A natural curiosity about the world we live in
- An intrigue about human behaviour
- A keen interest in social research and qualitative research methods
Along with ….
- A keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Experience with MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent time management and reliability
- Ability to prioritise work, deal with multiple demands at the same time and flexible when requirements change
- Effective listener, open to constructive criticism, suggestions and new ideas
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- The knack of thinking on your feet and not be afraid to express your ideas
- Motivated by working in a fast paced environment
- The ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Have the right to work in the UK
- Have completed an undergraduate degree