Unilever is one of the largest global fast moving consumer goods company and manufactures some of the world’s best-known brands, such as Lipton, Knorr, Hellmann’s and Unox. In a business whose purpose is to make sustainable living commonplace and create a brighter future, that future begins in Research & Development (R&D). And we are building this future in our Global Foods Innovation Centre in Wageningen.
It is the hotbed of ideas for brands, products, packaging, manufacturing and technology. The Unilever Future Leaders Programme R&D is about having a big impact, right from the start. Unilever has a culture where growth means positive change, impact and influence as well as market share.
What will you be doing?
As an R&D management trainee you will lead global innovations for our famous brands. You will develop products from concept ideas to full-scale production – with a heavy emphasis on feasibility and understanding consumer needs. At our office you will develop technologies and science for specific products to make them healthier, more appealing, more efficient and more environmentally friendly. You will make sure that our products are able to run in the production lines of our factories. On top of that, you will work together with more than 50 different nationalities in a highly educative environment.
What do we look for?
Ask yourself the following questions: And if you can answer these affirmatively, we are looking for you!
- Are you currently conducting a master degree in areas such as Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics, Life Science & Technology, Process Engineering, Food Technology, Data Science, Consumer Science or any other relevant degree?
- Are you a scientist/engineer with a genuine business interest?
- Do you have an external focus and always searching for collaboration with others?
- Are you motivated to continuously develop yourself and to have a steep learning curve?
- Do you have a great passion for Foods and Research & Development?
- Do you act in a pro-active and responsible way?
- Do you have a growth mindset and feel like a true leader?
- Do you want to work on products which have impact on two billion people every day and are sold in 190 countries?
What will the programme involve?
The programme is designed to accelerate you into a manager in 3 years (if your performance is up to our high standards). You’ll develop your individual leadership skills by working on projects which offer you the experience you need to be ready for your first management role. Over three years, you’ll take up to three stretching rotations across our businesses.
The focus of the UFLP within R&D is on the Foods & Refreshment division in our inspiring brand new Global Foods Innovation Centre.
- In the end, we sell our products to consumers every day. That is why every UFLP will start their career joining our Field Force team for two months, to learn all about our consumers and customers. Both in retail (Supermarkets) as in Food Solutions (Chefs in Restaurants) and in Out of Home (all other outlets like gas stations & themeparks). It’s a great opportunity to really get to know the other “Future Leaders”.
- Career possibilities: Thereafter you will take on up to three R&D rotations within three years, and may get the opportunity to work internationally. You will have the opportunity for one rotation outside of R&D, to help you understand the full scope of our business. You will work in cross functional and global teams. You will get hands-on experience with real projects in which you can make a genuine business impact, for growth, for people, for brands and for sustainability.
- Your rotations could be based at different business units across Europe and you will need to be flexible about where you are based during your time on the scheme.
- Support and empowerment: We'll support you every step of the way to senior management but much of your progress will be up to you. You'll need to be focused and ambitious to get where you want, identifying opportunities and taking responsibility for your own development.
- Professional training: during the programme there will be a wide range of internal and external training programmes available to build specific R&D skills and knowledge. You will get all the support you need to build your personal development plan.
- We have a proven tradition of developing our own purpose driven leaders and encourage innovative thinking. Future focused feedback and challenging goals drives innovation and ambition within a performance culture and an inclusive and informal environment. We will push you to achieve your potential and make a big business impact where you learn from the best. Firsthand experience – it’s the fastest way to learn.
Why should you apply?
- Exciting brands: 160 million times a day, someone somewhere chooses a Unilever product. That means you'll be working with a strong portfolio of brands which will give you a chance to make a genuine impact on people's lives.
- A real job from day one: Real roles with real responsibilities that provide you with fantastic insight on the organization, and require you to continuously test and develop your skills.
- Local & international: Reaching more than 190 countries, Unilever is a successful and respected business. We focus on the needs of local consumers by harnessing global expertise and team work. For you, that means exceptional exposure and experience.
- See the big picture: You'll quickly begin to see how the functions operate closely together. To help you better understand that interaction, you'll often work as part of cross-functional teams.
- Great development opportunities: We'll support you every step of the way, with hands on experience which includes functional and cross functional rotations. You’ll also have access to World class learning programme.
Requirements for application
- Please note we only consider applications from EU based residents due to VISA restrictions. In order to enter the UFLP you will need to have a valid working permit for the Netherlands.
- Additionally, note you will only be able to apply for a UFLP position once every 12 months.
- In order to be eligible to apply for the UFLP in the Netherlands, you must have attained a minimum of a Master’s degree on the date you will start your UFLP at Unilever (starting date to be 1
- For Research and Development you need to speak English fluently.
- Please note that we only consider your application when you applied in our system and that we work first come, first serve. So complete the first rounds as soon as possible.
- In the application form there is a possibility to upload your CV. This will only be used for filling your personal details, and is not part of the selection process.