We are looking for a Solution Architect to join Airbus Defence and Space . Reporting to the Solution leader for Satellite Communications Systems within our Secure Communications business line, you will define, steer and lead the implementation of the architecture and technical bricks as key elements of the Satcom solution.
Secure Communication provides satellite based communication systems and services, for military and governments globally. We have ambitious plans to grow this business area and Secure Communication is building solutions to reinforce its offer (systems, products, and services) and support growth in this market.
You will work closely with the Satcom Solution Leader and the Product Management team as well as in the Engineering teams, which are located in France, Germany and the UK.
You will need the ability to gain a UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Tasks and Accountabilities
During the Solution business plan building phase, you will:
- Analyse the currently available technical offering (customer solution, system/product/component and technical assets/service portfolio), performs a technical-economical assessment of competitors , contribute to SWOT analysis, identify axis for reinforcement and improvement (technical, cost base, etc)
- Contribute to build the business case for various solutions for satellite communication ground segment (governmental and/or military) by bringing technical inputs allowing the solution(s) offer positioning , defining its high level architecture and constituents, building the associated development plan (cost/schedule/resource), relying on internally available assets in SC portfolio as well as other business assets (e.g. Space Systems)
- Contribute to defining solution requirements
- Define the preliminary system architecture (CONOPS, functional analysis and architecture, system breakdown, main components)
- Contribute to analysis and trade-offs among possible solutions
- Define the required R&T/R&D needs (content/scope/cost/schedule) hence contributing to R&T/D roadmap building and the associated solution roadmap
- Build together with other stakeholders Make/Buy/Partner technical strategy,
- Building a standardized solution offer
- Contribute to Maturity Gate milestones for solution, components and products Interact with Business Development, Bid Support, solution & product portfolio, technical leads for SatCom programs, in coordination with the Solution Manager
During the solution creation and delivery phase, your activities shall progressively shift to:
- Becoming the Solution Technical Lead (equivalent to a program Chief Engineer/Lead System Engineer)
- Building the solution System Engineering Management Plan (scope, budget, structure (WBS/PBS/OBS/CBS), technical project guidelines, development schedule, resource plan)
- Setting up and the leading the Solution Development according the proposed plan ,
- Contribute to RFI/RFP, in order to ensure the success of the solution to meet the market , adjusting the solution scope and plan to meet the specific customer and market requirements (cost, time to market, scope)
- Your role will involve regular travel, typically business trips, usually short (1-3 days), across mainly Europe and occasionally worldwide.
- Experience within the telecommunications industry, with a significant exposure to satellite communication, typically during initial definition up to delivery of satellite communication ground systems
- Knowledge of architecture and functions for space segment GEO/MEO/LEO and ground segment (control and user ground communication , user terminals, system planning and configuration, external interfaces
- Experience in setting-up and leading a project in a complex technical environment
- Experience working in a collaborative projects environment, with several internal and external stakeholder (partner, suppliers, etc)
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share; an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.