Your future plans
A permanent full-time role within the Trading IT arena at RWE Supply & Trading GmbH (RWEST). Could be located in either Essen (Germany), London (UK) or Swindon (UK), with some travel between sites required. Although the role is full-time, we do have some degree of flex with working times – we are happy to discuss this at the interview stage.
It’s an exciting time to join us! RWEST is implementing and further developing a Data & Analytics platform to make the sharing, searching, transforming and on-boarding of data simple and efficient. Data is fundamental to the company’s business model and will become an ever increasing asset in the future.
As part of an expanding multi-disciplinary team of 30 engineers you will play a key role in the company wide initiative. We are developing and enhancing a cloud-based platform and infrastructure using the latest tech, capable of cleaning, transforming and efficiently accessing data, running on-demand as well as scheduled models, and integrating with pre-existing technology.
The initiative is sponsored by the Board and is a key enabler for the company’s commercial strategy. Therefore, we are looking for an experienced individual to join us. Someone who will play a key role in shaping the platform as we scale it, influencing how it is built and the technical decisions we take. If this sounds appealing, then apply now!
As part of your role as an interdisciplinary Data Engineer, you will:
- Take ownership of the technical design of our Data & Analytics platform covering the aspects integration of new use cases, robustness, performance, data latency, availability and maintainability of our strategic data platform
- Shape and influence the technical delivery backlog with new ideas and enhancements and technical requirements
- Act as the interface between the ~ 600 business trading users; Support business users to best leverage the Data & Analytics platform; Translate business requirements into a technical design
- Be a member of a multidisciplinary team of Data Engineers and DevOps Engineers delivering features and enhancements for our platform
- Monitor that the right quality assurance processes are in place; You propose and work on improvements where indicated
- Want to work in a supportive collaborative environment focused on delivering value to our users
- Be a specialist for one of our key components DataBricks, Dremio and/or Alation
- You have an in depth understanding of data flows and integrate data flows from surrounding systems using state of the art technologies
- Be a real technical problem solver, able to create solutions for complex requirements with a hands-on attitude
- Keep up to date with new trends in Data Analysics tools always looking to new solutions to solve complex problems
Your powerful skills
- Proven experience in the mentioned technical skills
- Fluent in English (verbal and written)
- A degree in, or related to Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience in building, operating and/or supporting robust and scalable big data platforms
- The ability to translate business requirements into a technical design. Review and further improve existing technical designs
- Experience in setting up, configuring and operating DataBricks, Dremio and/or Alation (or similar tools) in an (ideally AWS) cloud environment, including the integration of surrounding systems
- Hands on experience with visualisation tools, particularly Tableau
- Experience in development and scripting (e.g. Python, Ruby, Bash)
- Practical working experience in utilising and operating AWS cloud services
- Understanding of operational aspects like high availability, monitoring, security, robustness
- Knowledge in DevOps best practice
What we value most is passion, willingness to learn and a determined and resilient work ethic. So, if you can display most of the skills above then we would like to hear from you.
Benefits you can rely on
Working alongside our traders and analysts on this initiative gives you the opportunity to shape the commercial business from an IT perspective! Right from the beginning you’ll be making a difference within your team and this will be supplemented by a variety of comprehensive on the job learning.
We are also able to offer you the following:
- Working in one of the most interesting business contexts; a mixture of energy supply, trading and of course IT!
- Working in an agile team on things which matter
- Competitive salary plus annual discretionary bonus
- Open and diverse company culture