In this role, you have the opportunity to
- Provide strategic advice on Intellectual Property matters relating to trademarks, designs and domain names to all businesses of Philips Domestic Appliances (PDA);
- Partner with Design, Product Management and Marketing Communications management in securing the best possible non-technical IP protection for the new propositions that PDA will bring to the market.
You are responsible to
- manage, protect and enforce all possible non-technical IP rights, such as trademarks, designs and/or copyrights and domain names.
- counsel the management of various business, marketing, communication, and design groups, on the availability and register-ability of non-technical IP rights, acting in line with PDA's policies.
- contribute to policies in the field of trademarks, domain names and designs in order to further strengthen PDA’s IP portfolio on a worldwide basis.
- manage the registration of new non-technical IP rights and maintaining and further building the IP portfolio to provide optimal protection to PDA's businesses.
- give awareness trainings regarding trademarks and designs to marketing teams and design teams.
- manage international communication with external IP firms and IP offices.
- build and implement business cases for extracting value from the IP portfolio by conducting litigation or negotiating licensing and other commercial IP-based deals.
- manage third-party IP risks, and when needed, support the business in mitigating or defending legal actions.
- identify infringement of our IP rights and together with external agents and law firms, in close consultation with the stakeholders in your businesses, handle subsequent enforcement actions and litigations. In these disputes, you directly negotiate with 3rd parties and conclude the necessary agreements and contracts.
- handle IP matters in a wide range of collaborations with third parties, including drafting, reviewing, and advising on contracts and clauses related to non-technical IP.
- be involved in mergers, acquisitions and divestments as far as non-technical IP related matters are concerned, including due diligence exercises and preparation of final agreements.
- instruct and manage opposition proceedings, court cases and out-of-court settlement of disputes in consultation with product management, marketing management and in-house and external lawyers.
- be involved in PDA’s brand protection program against counterfeits, fakes, lookalikes, and infringing products.
You are a part of
The global PDA Legal Department in direct report to the Head of Intellectual Property, who is based in the Netherlands.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- A Master’s degree in Law with specialization in intellectual property
- Qualification as a Benelux or European Trademark & Design Attorney, or qualification and registration as national lawyer / attorney at law.
- At least 5 years of experience with all aspects of managing trademark, domain name and design registrations and enforcement thereof, preferably in an international context, as an in-house IP counsel / Legal counsel in an IP intensive business or as an external lawyer advising on such matters.
- Strong professional drive.
- Excellent analytical and organizational capabilities.
- Customer oriented, problem solving and structured.
- Know how to prioritize and how to deal with deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, social skills and have a positive attitude.
- Excellent relationship building, influencing and negotiating abilities.
- Be able to work in a team and have a willingness to continue to learn to broaden your knowledge in the field of intellectual property.
- Fluency in English, with a basic knowledge of some other international languages
In return, we offer you
A meaningful career, with new challenges in our dynamic organization, working in an encouraging multinational and multicultural environment. We are happy to provide you with this opportunity to work with new technologies. You will be surrounded by passionate and committed, colleagues who share your ambition to create outstanding customer experiences. Your work will be ambitious and full of opportunities for growth. Variety and challenge will be part of your daily routines.