Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history, celebrating it's bicentenary in 2022. We are proud of our history and future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Work as a key member the group accounting team to ensure the timely and accurate preparation of group accounts and other management and statutory financial information, with a focus on process improvement and ensuring that appropriate controls and reconciliations are in place and maintained.
Month End Accounting & Reporting
- With assistance from the Management Accountant, manage the monthly WIP valuation process by collating specific valuation information on a monthly basis, and manage the monthly reporting of income numbers.
- Monthly review of the management accounts for the Asian offices and provide support to the local finance teams. Reviewing submitted balance sheet reconciliations for these offices and challenging where required.
- Review the Business Development and Brand, Marketing & Comms business services functions results on a monthly basis to ensure FTE and costs are being reported correctly, and manage the monthly reporting for these areas.
- Monthly balance sheet reconciliations, with key responsibilities being WIP and profit and loss clearing accounts.
- Provide support to senior management and the business as necessary.
- With assistance from the Assistant Accountant and Director of Group Finance, manage the completion and review of the monthly cash flow forecasting.
- Coordination and oversight of specific business services function annual budgets (Business Development and Brand, Marketing & Comms).
- Liaise with Function Heads to ensure full understanding and commentary on budget outputs and support periodic P&L reforecasting as required.
- Assist with high level analysis on annual business services budgets e.g. FTE analysis.
- Adherence to a global timetable.
Year end audit and statutory reporting responsibilities
- Manage the year-end WIP certification process.
- Manage the preparation of statutory accounts including liaising with various teams to ensure specific disclosure notes are received within timelines.
- Liaise with UK and international auditors to ensure timely response to audit queries. Specific areas of responsibility will be income expectation analysis, review of WIP process and desktop reviews, as well as assisting the Asia offices with local audit queries.
- Preparation of year end Hong Kong and Ireland management recharges.
- Ensure compliance with UK GAAP across the global firm.
- Provide Singapore, Tokyo and Hong Kong assistance in preparing annual accounts for auditors/tax accountants answering any queries on the accounts prepared.
- Profit & loss clearing process for offices excluding Australia, PNG, China and Indonesia.
- Main central point of contact for the local finance teams in the Asian offices.
- Manage the half year end WIP certification process.
- Undertake adhoc analysis of accounts and other financial information.
Adhoc project support
- Provide SME support to firm initiatives as required.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Relevant accounting qualification (ICAS, ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA etc).
- Experience of management accounts and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Good understanding of UK GAAP and statutory reporting.
- Highly numerate with a good understanding of financial and management information systems.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Advanced analytical skills, ability to manipulate & make sense of large volumes of data.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, orally or in writing with all levels of stakeholders and staff.
- Excellent delivery skills with a clear track record that demonstrates this.
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience of working in an international and multi-currency business, preferably within the professional services (ideally legal) sector.
- Experience of working with Elite 3e or Cognos TM1 would be an advantage.