About the role
Our innovative thinking shapes our industry; equipping the world for tomorrows challenges.
Join our Rail team as a Business Development Manager and you can contribute to tangible, worthwhile work you can be proud of.
What you'll be doing
As a Business Development Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- To lead the creation and development of customer relationships with transformational clients (i.e. clients identified with potential to help grow the business as part of the key account management programme).
- Ensure strong and effective customer relationships are built and maintained through client interaction and MAP surveys.
- To influence and shape the future procurement strategy of our customers and ensure this aligns to BB Rail strategic direction and Group governance to best suit Balfour Beatty ambitions and capabilities.
- To gain a comprehensive understanding the clients objectives before we get to bid and articulate these to the bid managers in the work winning team.
- Ensure our bid/ governance and minimum risk and margin expectations are embedded in our tenders
- Working with the Bid Management team to ensure we have a winning bid
- Act as a trusted advisor to the business, providing concise market intelligence, strategy advice and acting as a subject matter expert across the SBU for Business Development.
- Build a compelling network of customer relationships with the key decision-makers in customer organisations.
- To work with Estimators / Bid Management to ensure that information gathered from getting left is utilised in all our tenders and client engagement.
- Ensure the lesson learnt process is embedded in everything we do
- Ensure that information on clients and relationships is captured and stored as part of the Key Account Management process
- Leading the production of pursuit plans to ensure key information is presented on opportunities well in advance of tenders arriving. This to include communication of key client drivers, competitor analysis, key project risks, relationship mapping etc.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- An organised, innovative, creative and experienced Business Development professional with experience in rail ideally (or other equivalent discipline).
- Able to talk credibly and persuasively about BB Rails offering (and utilities more generally).
- Able to create empathy and rapport with clients.
- Able to lead the cultural change required to make BB Rail into more of a customer-focused business.
- Able to work effectively with Operations.
- Excellent time management skills (to get things done to a high standard very quickly).
- Resilience and a determination to succeed to cope with the challenges and frustrations of a sales environment.
- Able to balance both the customer facing element, and the data management / analytical element of the role to ensure key information is captured and shared to ensure the best possible outcomes.
- General IT proficiency (word, excel, PowerPoint etc)
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Rail business has an extensive legacy of rail expertise. Our teams safely deliver complex projects, from consultancy and design to all aspects of construction and maintenance. Using advanced plant and machinery, and unique innovations, we provide end-to-end solutions for our customers.
Our aim is to improve the passengers experience, and our teams create better journeys by increasing network capacity, improving reliability, and making our railways more efficient and sustainable.