This position is remote based.
At GitLab, developers are independent and self-organized individual contributors who work together as a tight team in a remote and agile way.
Fullstack Engineers at GitLab work in the Growth department, which analyzes the entire customer journey from acquisition of a customer, to the flow across multiple GitLab features, and even reactivation of lost users. They work in small groups with a product manager, UX designer and a data analyst in order to scale GitLab usage by connecting users to the existing value that GitLab already delivers.
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Analyze and interpret highly complex data to arrive at actionable recommendations
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (e.g. UX) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Confidently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Professional experience with Ruby and Rails
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Experience working with modern frontend frameworks (eg. React, Vue.js, Angular)
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools