Working alongside the Proposals Manager, Proposal Specialists and other functional departments, the Lead Estimator will need to prepare the “Estimate Plan” prior to submission and the “Basis of Estimate” document upon completion of the estimate. In addition, the professional provides guidance, direction and specialised assistance for the resolution of complex estimating problems in accordance with the company’s procedures.
- Provides cost estimating guidance and direction to the Project Management team
- Organises and supervises assigned staff as appropriate.
- Plans and works pro-actively with the other functional departments to identify priorities and expedites cost estimate input data to achieve the planned completion date and quality.
- Reviews vessel schedules, material takeoffs and other cost input data for mathematical and technical consistency.
- Responsible for benchmarking exercise for all assigned proposals.
- Accumulates, evaluates and documents historical cost data and construction procedures and methods to maintain current estimating standards and databases.
- Reviews contractual documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and scope changes.
- Participate in risk assessment meetings and perform risk analysis as required
- Develops and presents relevant cost background information.
- Combines inputs from functional departments into a total estimate.
- Recommend cost saving measures during proposal stage.
- Coordinate and assist, where necessary, the functional department estimators to ensure the estimates are completed in a timely manner and cognisant of the Bid ‘Win Strategy’.
- Review departmental estimates to ensure estimates are; Accurate – free from errors and omissions, consistent with the Bid Strategy and consistent with the company’s benchmarking information.
- Provide and coordinate assistance to proposal specialist in cross checking of errors or omissions in the estimating tool
- Coordinate changes to rates in the rate bank for the estimating tool.
- Conduct cost estimate review meetings with all relevant stakeholders
- Coordinate necessary benchmarking of bid information
- Check the final bid estimate to ensure; It is accurate – free from errors and omissions and has the right revisions of the departmental inputs are used and the template and rates used are correct
- Attend and participate in Bid Review meetings, estimate evaluation meetings, risk and opportunity meetings etc. as required
- Participates in client presentations and negotiations as required.
- Performs other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate.
- Must be deadline driven
- Ability to work independently
- Must be a team player
- Ability to work well under pressure and balance multiple tasks / bids at a time
- To uphold the Company’s Vision, Mission and Values Statement and Corporate Goals;
- To adhere to the Company’s Ethics Policy Statement, in particular, be trustworthy, maintain a high ethical standard and adhere to the Code of Business Conduct.
- To accept personal responsibility for and adhere to the Company’s QHSES Policy and Procedures, Substance Abuse Policy and to raise matters of concern to the Company.
McDermott is a premier, fully-integrated provider of technology, engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. For more than a century, customers have trusted McDermott to design and build end-to-end infrastructure and technology solutions—from the wellhead to the storage tank—to transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today.