Systems engineers within Warship Support Technical Authority Services are required to apply theoretical knowledge and practical experience in order to support the design and optimisation of products and services.
What you will be doing… (Role Duties and Responsibilities)
Under technical supervision, provide Systems Engineering services to Warship Support COMs, projects, bids and improvement initiatives as directed by the Systems Engineering Functional Lead. This may include:
• Supporting the development of strategies to ensure that systems are designed and integrated so that they fully satisfy the customer and business needs/requirements
• Capturing and analysing requirements in order to understand the customer/business needs and the context in which the system will be used
• Supporting the design and optimisation of system architectures and solutions using system modelling techniques
• Facilitating successful integration of systems and sub-systems
• Identifying and managing interfaces and dependencies
• Identifying and mitigating failure modes
• Determining the emergent properties of a system to support trade-offs, optimisation, risk reduction and testing
• Defining the verification and validation approach in order to achieve certification and acceptance of the system
• Supporting the identification of safety hazards and the assessment and mitigation of safety risk
• Providing systems engineering support to project and functional teams
• Conduct all activities in a professional manner delivering systems engineering tasks to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project milestones
• Drafting technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that information can be successfully communicated with recipients
• Maintain accurate records of all work in accordance with relevant extant procedures
• Liaise with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers as required
• Liaise with Supply Chain, Operations, Test & Commissioning, ILS and other internal functions as required.
• Continually develop your systems capabilities to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with best practice
• Articulate and present arguments clearly, logically and simply
Entry Requirements and what we are looking for
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, in a STEM subject
• Have a good understanding of Systems Engineering and the benefits it brings to complex engineering projects
• Have some experience in applying Systems Engineering tools and techniques in a service or product design environment, preferably working on complex military platforms and systems.
• Have a strong awareness of Product Safety and SHE within their day to day work.
Overview of Business Unit
Maritime Services delivers end-to-end services and support to over half of the Royal Navy’s Surface Fleet. You could join more than 3,500 employees across our UK sites and help deliver a range of services – from ensuring the Royal Navy’s ships are ready to go to sea, managing Portsmouth Naval Base, or even manufacturing radar, torpedoes, small boats and components for aircraft.
We are proud to support the Royal Navy and provide everything its personnel need to live and work at Portsmouth Naval Base. We have extensive experience in managing the base’s facilities and services, including accommodation, catering, transportation and even energy services.
Our support to ships sees us maintain and upgrade the fleet around the globe to ensure the Royal Navy meets its operational commitments
Our training services ensure personnel are capable and ready for maritime action and our products add operational advantage to our UK and international customers, this includes radar, torpedoes and small boats, as well as electronics being used in the new F35 Lightning B aircraft. Our work on complex technologies is used to support defence activities across the globe.
We have sites in Portsmouth, Cowes on the Isle of Wight, Filton near Bristol, Great Baddow in Chelmsford, and Hillend in Scotland
It’s an exciting time to be part of Maritime Services as the work at all our sites is helping the Royal Navy prepare for the arrival of the second Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carrier. By joining Maritime Services you could have the chance to help develop the engineering support required for the carriers throughout their operational life.
If you want to be part of our future working in partnership with the Royal Navy, then a career in Maritime Services awaits you
Security/ Export Control Statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
BAE Systems is a global defence, aerospace and security company employing around 88,200 people worldwide.