Who is Lightyear?
Lightyear is an innovative and progressive scale-up with one mission; offering clean mobility for everyone, everywhere! Lightyear originates from the multiple world champion of the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge® Cruiser Class, Solar Team Eindhoven. With Stella and Stella Lux this team developed a solar powered, 4 person, road legal car. Lightyear was officially established in 2016 aiming to make this groundbreaking technology accessible to everyone! In 2016 it started with 5 visionaries. At the beginning of 2018 Lightyear had grown to 40 highly motivated people. Today, Lightyear consists of nearly 150 employees and keeps on growing. Lightyear has its own production facility and a new office to be delivered in the summer of 2019. This growth will continue in the coming years. For that reason we are looking for talent and experience to strengthen the company and contribute in achieving our mission!
What will you do as Chief Product Officer (CPO)?
The CPO will be responsible for providing the leadership and management necessary to ensure that the "Product Team" has the proper team structure, talented personnel and workflows in place to fulfill the ambitious plans of Lightyear. At Lightyear we strongly believe in teams having a high level of autonomy while at the same time being strongly aligned. We encourage that leaders at Lightyear facilitate their teams to make the right decisions and reach Lightyears ambitious milestones. This in an energetic and inspiring way of working where relationships are #1. You are able to empathize, understand and support but you are also someone who is able to take decisions when needed. When this occurs, you always put person(s) affected by this decision at the center. You are honest, you can admit when you don’t have the knowledge needed to provide direction. But you are an influencer and you make sure you'll retrieve the information needed to reach the goals that have been set. In the role of Chief Product Officer your role will focus but is not limited to:
- Design, implement plans and procedures, develop, control and improve an
- effective process for the ‘Product Value Chain’ (Design, Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Quality)
- Ensure people throughout the whole ‘product value chain’ understand each others roles and responsibilities, are aligned and are supported to make the best decisions in order to reach Lightyears milestones
- Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth. Lead employees to
- encourage maximum performance and dedication and to be mission
- driven. Collaborate with cross-functional and multidisciplinary teams to design and build efficient Lightyear products that customers love
- Understand the added value of software in the product value chain, you'll ensure that the Product Team, as well as the other teams in Lightyear stay "on top of their game" by inspiring on this topic and implementing it
- Inspire teams to challenge the current norms and start with a "blank sheet of paper" in order to be faster, more affordable and without compromising on customer satisfaction
- Define, together with the team of VP’s, valid KPI’s to create a data-aware organization while putting the goal of Lightyear at #1
- Be a strategic partner to the CEO of Lightyear and the key leadership team and formulate together with them policies for Lightyear for the short-, mid and longterm
- Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics, market intelligence and write and report to the CEO in all matters of importance
- Participate in expansion activities (investments, acquisitions, corporate alliances) and assist in fundraising ventures where needed
- Give presentations on important events in the world. Be a networker
- at relevant and interesting platforms and be a crucial part of the face of Lightyear.
What do we expect from a Chief Product Officer at Lightyear?
To succeed in the dynamic world of Lightyear, pro-activity, professionalism, communication and adaptability are crucial. In addition, we are looking for someone with an extremely ambitious attitude who learns from the past (tried and tested) but who is especially open to transforming new developments or ideas into the "tried and tested" of the future! You have a "software" mindset. You have excellent communication skills, you know how to motivate, inspire but always remain true to yourself. You can create from scratch, you are highly committed, a team player, approachable, flexible and stress resilient. Last but not least you are one of the most committed supporters of our mission. Furthermore you'll bring:
- At least a Master degree in a technical direction. An MBA is seen as a plus
- At least 7 years of full-time experience in a similar role at a (hightech) technical company
- A deep understanding of and experience in a software environment. Understanding and conviction of the added value of software in the product value chain
- Experience with fast scaling companies and the ability to quickly adapt to a fast-
- changing and rapidly growing company with a proven track record to
- thrive in such an environment
- Demonstrable competencies in strategic planning and product development, in depth understanding of translating customer requirements into technical specifications
- Ability to translate longterm plans (>10 yr) into strategic and tactical plans which aligns and motivates the whole organization
- Understanding of the field of Design, Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Quality
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities and the track record to prove it
- Highly evolved interpersonal communication and public speaking skills
- Highly evolved problem solving skills
- An energetic, approachable and authentic personality
- You speak English fluently. Knowledge of the German and Dutch language is seen as a plus
What can you expect from Lightyear?
In addition to a challenging role as Chief Product Officer (CPO), you also have the opportunity to work for a company with a real, honest and ambitious mission. This way you have the opportunity to make a huge impact on the future of mobility! In addition, we also offer:
- A high degree of freedom and independence in your role
- A role within a multidisciplinary team consisting of highly motivated, inquisitive and talented people with a broad diversity of experience
- A role at one of the fastest growing technical companies in the Netherlands with tremendous potential
- 40 vacation days a year
- An interesting and balanced pension through Zwitserleven that is in line with the mission of Lightyear
- The ability to participate via shares and to be involved in the growth and success of Lightyear
In addition to a dynamic working environment, there is time for relaxation during our already epic Friday afternoon drinks