Unilever Summer Placement Programme - R&D
Various, United Kingdom
On a 12 week summer placement starting in the summer, you will learn on a real job with real responsibilities. You will work alongside Unilever managers to set goals and measure your performance against Unilever competencies.
During your programme, your line manager will formally appraise your performance and provide feedback and coaching to build on your key strengths and development areas. You will receive a buddy and functional contacts who will be you support throughout the whole programme.
If you pass the placement you will be fast-tracked to the Discovery Centre Day of our Future Leaders Programme.
- Starts: End of June
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Where: Various locations throughout the UK and Ireland
- Eligibility: Be in the penultimate year of your degree
- Degree required: All disciplines count, except for placements in R&D, where we require a strong technical qualification in a Chemical, Biological, Physical or Food-related Science, Chemical/Materials or a related discipline.
- Salary: £20,000 pro rata per annum
For a business whose very purpose is to create a brighter future, that future begins in Research & Development (R&D). This is the hotbed of ideas for brands, products, packaging, manufacturing and technology. Your work could impact on millions.
What will I be doing?
You will be undertaking research to understand what consumers want and need, and developing the technology and science to bring innovations to life. You’ll be making things even healthier, more appealing, more efficient and more environmentally friendly – improving our products in any way possible.
Our people have the opportunity to make a big impact every day on a local level, across Europe and the globe. We have a proven tradition of developing our own purpose driven leaders and encourage innovative thinking.
What do we look for?
You need to be the kind of scientist/engineer who has a genuine business interest: bags of enthusiasm, ambition and commercial acumen. The limitless opportunities at Unilever creates fully engaging innovative entrepreneurship.
We look for minimum of a 2.1 degree in a relevant discipline.
For R&D you’ll need a strong technical qualification in a Chemical, Biological, Physical or Food-related Science, Chemical/Materials science or similar.
What will the R&D programme involve?
Over at least three placements, you’ll work with teams from different business areas:
- Designing new product innovations and rolling these out across the globe.
- Looking at longer-term science and technology projects in one of our Global R&D Centres.
- Developing products from concept idea to full-scale production – with a heavy emphasis on feasibility and understanding consumer needs.
- An opportunity for one placement outside of R&D, to help you understand the full scope of our business.
Your rotations could be based at different business units across Europe and you will need to be flexible about where you are based during your time on the scheme.
On a summer placement in R&D, you will carry out just one role during the placement.