Summer Internship: Data Science
Londen, United Kingdom
The online travel market never stands still. At Expedia Affiliate Network (EAN), we’re smack in the middle of it. We’re an entrepreneurial start-up inside the world’s biggest travel company. We build the tools and technologies that help millions of travelers find the perfect hotels for their next trip. We offer the chance to work with the brightest minds in the tech industry in a high-energy and international work environment. We are passionate about innovation, creative problem-solving and teamwork.
Revenue Optimisation and Data Science teams at EAN
The Revenue Optimisation team is responsible for generating significant revenue growth for the organisation. We use advanced Data Science techniques in order to make data-driven business decisions and identify new opportunities to exploit for growth. Being a data scientist in travel is intellectually meaningful and stimulating, working on very hard problems with complex data. The data science team has a research and development mandate, ground-breaking the use of advanced, emergent techniques across the business to tackle the hardest problems, taking discoveries and ideas and transforming them into products and actions in a dynamic, commercially driven and results focused environment.
We are looking for data scientists who are intelligent, passionate, and enthusiastic in applying machine learning, and advanced analytical and statistical techniques in order to drive millions of choices made on our websites to help give extraordinary customer experiences, improve business operations and improve value for the company.
Internship start date: 17th June 2018
Internshipenddate: Flexible, minimum 10-12 weeks duration
Recruitingcommences: November - December 2017
Interviews: December - February 2018
Your daily itinerary:
We build state-of-the art algorithms and tools to generate revenue for EAN affiliates and impact the online travel market at large. In this role, you will have an unrivaled opportunity to utilise your passion for data to add real business value to one of the world’s largest travel companies. You'll be able to dive into cutting edge machine learning algorithms, and apply analytics at scale in order to impact the business. We will help you test your ideas on real traffic, allowing you to understand the implications of these on the business as a whole.
What we are looking for in you:
- In progress a Bachelor or Masters in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning / AI
- Curiosity, a passion for asking questions and the ability to answer based on data-driven analysis (e.g. machine learning or statistical techniques)
- Knowledge of programming, e.g. Python+Pandas/R and some knowledge of SQL
- The ability to explain complex concepts in an easy way, e.g. using data visualisation
- Be proactive, solution driven and a quick learner
- Ability to manage timelines and deadlines independently (coached by mentor)
- Attention to detail
- We combine a start-up feel with global scale and global opportunities
- Biannual Hackathons where you can make a difference and suggest what you think to improve our products
- We are re-inventing online travel, one day at a time - it's an exciting challenge
- We have got the scope and the freedom to make a difference. We don't do ordinary
- We define the questions, not the answers, for an industry changing every day
- We get to do all of this in our amazing office in central London
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.