Graduate Mechanical Engineer
Cambridge, United Kingdom
The Mechanical and Analytical group undertakes the development of innovative devices and equipment from concept to manufacture whilst addressing considerable technical challenges.
We combine innovative mechanical engineering with a rigorous analytical approach to problem solving and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to market, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
This is an excellent opportunity for a mechanical engineer with the ambition and ability to achieve excellent results within highly demanding industries under tough commercial and time constraints.
You will be using your strong technical skills to make a significant contribution to development projects, from initial idea generation through to the delivery and manufacturing support for market ready products. This will include:
- Creative problem solving and concept generation
- Analytical and modelling work
- Working closely with engineers and technicians of different disciplines to implement detailed solutions for mechanical and electromechanical systems, down to component level
- Design and implementation of ‘proof-of-principle’ test rigs
- Design and execution of experimental programmes with teams of scientists and technicians
- Developing concepts into production-ready designs
- Transfer to manufacture activities
- Liaison with client engineers and teams
- Working closely with external suppliers and internal production technicians
- Writing technical reports and producing high quality design documentation
You will have contact with clients at an early stage, getting involved in defining work programmes, holding technical workshops and giving presentations. You may manage tasks within projects requiring delivery within tight timescales and budgets, managing both internal and external resources. You will also be active in mentoring more junior staff. There may also be the opportunity for occasional travel to our offices in the US and Singapore, our clients sites or to one of our approved manufacturers or suppliers.
In order to be considered for this role it is essential the candidate meets the following criteria :
- An excellent first class degree in mechanical engineering or other closely related discipline
- Practical experience of designing mechanical components and assemblies, including building robust CAD models, producing high-quality drawings and liaising with sub contract manufacturers
- Eagerness to learn new skills and to develop solutions for interesting and complex problems
- Excellent communications skills
In addition, qualifications and experience in the following areas would be advantageous:
- Knowledge of common manufacturing techniques, from injection moulding to sheet metal fabrication
- A creative approach to problem solving and concept generation
- Experience of using 3D CAD tools, preferably Pro-Engineer and / or SolidWorksSome relevant industrial experience
- Good practical skills
- An appreciation of the use of engineering analysis tools in product development including CFD and FEA
Graduates with industrial experience or with relevant equivalent practical experience gained through research projects or extracurricular activities are welcomed.
WHY CAMBRIDGE CONSULTANTS?
Cambridge Consultants creates exciting and novel breakthroughs in technology and products. We help our clients achieve the kind of game-changing leap forward that will transform their whole business.
At the heart of what we do are talented and motivated multi-disciplinary teams empowered to create cutting edge technologies and systems to solve difficult problems for our clients.
We recognise and celebrate individual talent and we understand the importance of letting individuals be just that. Our people are here to do the best work of their lives and our job is to provide the platform for them to do it. That means letting people pursue the projects that interest them and develop their career in whatever direction they choose.